Today is April fool’s day, a day when we traditionally put up joke stories in an attempt to fool other people. I thought I’d turn this round and report on things that should be April fool’s stories but aren’t.
In keeping with the subject of this blog, I wanted to look at what will happen when everyone, when all of you, own your own genome data. And what will happen is that there will be a new economy, 100s of new companies just waiting to con the stupid out of their money:
- “Love is no conincidence” – give these guys your genome data and they will find your perfect partner
- Too fat or unhealthy? You’re eating the wrong food and the answer is encoded in your genome
- Hate the gym, but can’t play sports? Don’t worry, we can provide your personalised genomic fitness plan
- Found the perfect genomic partner using genepartners.com? Want to know how long they’ll live? Easy!
- Have you always wanted to know how Yoga affects your genome? No? Well, if you do, “mind-body genomics” is a thing now.
- Do you want to improve your health? Who doesn’t? Well, why not just eat some DNA?
- Struggling to understand homeopathy? It’s epigenetic, you clown!
To genomicists, scientists, rationalists and anyone else who uses an evidence-based philosophy to understand the World, I say this: prepare for the quacks.