Cool paper – turns out that the genome of the sweet potato has segments of the Agrobacterium genome in it! Genuinely cool stuff.
However, I found something even more exciting! A tiny virus genome present in huge numbers of sequenced bacteria. Check it out:
- GO here: http://blast.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Blast.cgi
- Click on Nucleotide Blast
- Where it says “Enter accession number, gi or FASTA”, simply enter the number: 9626372
- Where it says “Database” make sure you choose “others”
- Just under there, where it says “Organism (optional)” start typing the word Bacteria, and choose “Bacteria (taxid: 2)”
- Click the Blast button at the bottom
OMG! This tiny viral genome is in E coli, it’s in Acinetobacter, Desulfitobacterium, Sphingobacterium….
I’M EMBARRASSED FOR THEM! #SHAME